My husband acquired a car with his ex wife and it was repo over 6 yr ago. I am married to him now and 6yrs later, we received an IRS noticed of deficiency wanting us to pay over $3,000 for a "cancellation of a debt" for $7,230!

How is that when they got the car back they are allow to report it to IRS as income for us and on top of it, ME, the new wife and my husband has to pay for it when it was "their" debt? I do understand when a "credit card" does that to you because you did spend ALL the money, but they did get their car back.

This reviewer shared experience about "payment" and wants this business to "take it out from irs records" as the author lost $7230. yarimar71 is overall dissatisfied with AmeriCredit. The most disappointing about americredit auto loan at AmeriCredit was i have been calling 407-875-8395 maitland, no answer back and let me hanging Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about AmeriCredit.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Financial Services category for more informed decision or compare AmeriCredit to other companies on our site.

Comments

neurodoc
New York, New York, United States #1270285

They honestly did nothing wrong, your husband backed out on the loan. And now are facing the consequences, make your payments on time and you would not be in this situation.

Americredit financed your husband with the intention of getting all of their money back, plus interest. By bailing out on the loan, your husband made the situation much, much worse...

The repo of the car does not wipe out the contract. The balance of the contract is still due.

Since he was on the contract, he walked out on the deal by not making payments. The loan was written off and the amount not paid back is forgiven but treated as income by IRS. Nothing new here and nothing illegal, immoral or unethical done by the lender.

They did what they were supposed to do by reporting this to IRS. Your husband did not do what he was supposed to do by not making payments which caused these consequences to be brought upon himself and you!